Saturday, March 17, 2018

THE RAIN RAIN RAIN CAME DOWN DOWN DOWN...THEN IT SNOWED!!!!!

In Winnie the Pooh we hear about the rain coming down in "rushing rising rivlets..." and that's what was happening in Paris today.  At least this morning!

After our typical breakfast, we decided to go the brocante (flea market) that is quite a jaunt from our apartment.  We were at this particular market another visit and bought one of the mirrors that is now in storage in Plano.  That day, too, it was raining.  But not nearly so cold.

We took two buses to get there and, seriously, it was pouring down rain.  But there were vendors selling and people buying so I guess it was worth their while.  We had a list of things we were kind of looking for....nothing important except several pieces of small furniture we were hoping to find that were cool, old and cheap!!!  And, voila, there it was!  There were actually two pieces we liked but she had already sold one.  The first question to ask was "will you deliver?" and David had to use Google Translate (which our banker used with us too!) to help in communication.  Yes, she did so after walking through more of the stalls, we decided this was a deal and we went back to her.  The piece is more than we realized.  We're using it in our foyer to hold keys, etc.  Low and behold, it opens up and, to me, looks like a vanity table.  But it's a little high and I don't really need that.
And we got this....surprise!!!!
We thought we were getting this...
                                                                                           
                                                                                                     

So, for now, it will serve the purpose we intended.  But who knows....it may get repurposed later!!  Anyway, we are thrilled with our bargain piece and I wonder if it has the United States in its future???!!!

We got a few more little things (nothing worth getting out in that cold rain for) and took the very crowded bus home.  I am always amazed at the moms (or perhaps nannies) with small children..in or out of strollers.  The buses have a special place for the strollers which is nice and the children, for the most part, are very well behaved (even those littles not in strollers).  This is the only way of life they have known (I think of Nikki with Sam in London when he was a little guy and they had the big stroller with a plastic cover for rain or snow and this bunting he wore to be warm).  I love seeing things like this.

Anyway, when we got home, I looked like this...

The hair looked nice when I started out!
I literally was dripping but was glad I had worn my trusty Target knee boots, trench coat with sweater underneath, scarf and gloves (which were damp too!).  We had some lunch (not much food left in the house!) and regrouped to go the market on Rue Cler instead of the original one since it's farther away and not still open.

Rue Cler is on a wider street so more comfortable to shop on but the prices are also higher.  By now it had started to snow...really big wet flakes that were beautiful...much better than rain any day.  So I added a t-shirt under my sweater, pulled on a warmer scarf, changed my gloves and changed my coat and we were off!

This is what I looked after marketing in the snow!
We ended up just getting eggs and cheese (from the same fromagerie as we used last week-the cheese was fabulous!) and flowers because the other things were just too pricey and we can get by a few days.

And that was the end of our day..busy but productive.  I didn't mind the weather at all although I saw it was 85 in Dallas and that seems unbelievable.  I don't need spring right now, but I'll be ready soon. I'm anxious to get window boxes for my windows and stop wearing my bargain boots.  Maybe soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment