Wednesday, March 21, 2018

HITS AND MISSES -MARCH 17, 2018

In two weeks I've had my ups and downs.  I may be on the up side now with fewer downs (I hope!).  But, in this process of adjusting, I've realized (not surprisingly) there are things (after just two weeks) I miss from my Plano life and things I love about my Paris life.

The Misses

*My car - I actually would love the walking if I had no pain so maybe soon...

*My kids and grandkids - We don't see them all the time but I think the "special" times I'll miss -
   Drew's birthday this month we'd have a sleepover and bake.  I'll miss doing that.

*Friends - We've both met some people but friendship takes a while...

*Church Music - Ours at ACP is way too formal and classic for us!  Where are the classic hymns
   and gospels???????

*Shopping - I know this is the fashion capital of the world but where's Banana Republic and
   Nordstrom?????  And I miss multiple choices for household goods that are easily obtained...

*My magazines - Really!!!!  I've been an addict since I was a teenager!  I picked up a "Shape"
   magazine at an English bookstore and thought I'd gone to heaven.

*My ensuite bathroom - I don't really mind not having "ensuite" but our bathroom (the main
   bathroom of the apartment) is at the other end of the apartment.  I realize in 950 sq.ft. that's
   not all that far...but in the middle of the night it might as well be the next apartment!!!!


The Hits

*The apartment - I love it - I love the space (or lack of!) and as it becomes more "us", I
   love it more.  That is just taking some time because of knowing where to find what I'm
   looking for...(that goes to "Shopping" above!!!)

*The outdoor food markets - I hate US grocery stores and love the market experience (even
   in the rain).

*Having cafes everywhere - and never feeling rushed to leave because waiters are salaried and don't
   depend on tips.

*Quiet restaurants/cafes - French people, mostly, speak quietly and the music isn't blaring
   (mostly) - they want you to enjoy your experience and time with friends/family.

*Riding the bus - and the metro but,  as I posted earlier, I'm a bus fan.  I don't care about the
   traffic or weather.  I can get on, ride and get off.  And I don't have to park!!

*The twinkling Eiffel - remember, I'm a geek!!!

*The diversity of church - Hunter's Glen was becoming more diverse - ACP is already there -
   that's nice.

*The lift (elevator) in my building - it's a lifesaver for me now and when we have packages -
   hopefully, I'll be able to take the stairs some as my leg gets stronger.

*Hearing the life in our building - the piano practicing, the heels clicking above us (oh, I miss
   my heels!!!!!)...I like it all.

This is where I am right now. It'll be interesting to see how these change in the weeks ahead.


**As a postscript to this post which I wrote four days ago, the last day or two have been difficult.  I don't think my expectations were too high, but I do think I just didn't realize how difficult a transition this would be.  Some of the differences are easier than others.  It's just all different.  If nothing else, I'll learn flexibility in the months ahead!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment