Friday, March 23, 2018

BOOKS AND TREASURES!!!

I had an appointment with the chiropractor who's trying to help me with my leg via my neck and spine.  At this point, I'm not willing to commit to the 40 treatments he's prescribing but am going to start with 10.  Today he showed me how to use these "blocks" on my neck and spine at home-2-3 times a day for 30 seconds to start and working up to 3 minutes.  He took pictures so we would know the correct position I'm to be in.




















Lovely, huh????  Spine position isn't too bad, but the neck position isn't comfortable at all.  I guess that's the idea.  Anyway, this what I'll be doing 2-3 times every day till I see him next week.

Before we had all that fun (!!!), we had walked around the block from the apartment to The American Library.  We've been wanting to stop in and join and today was the day.  It's a lovely, welcoming facility just in our backyard.  It's been here since 1920 and is an old building but the inside is completely new.  Anyway, once in we applied and received our new library cards picture and all!  They have volunteer opportunities (we're not sure what skill sets we may have that they can use besides we read!), readings, etc. not to mention, of course, lots of books and magazines (yea!!!!) that can be checked out.  They also have have a scanner and printer and copier for the use of patrons.  That will be very helpful since we no longer have those things at home.  In fact, David made a copy today for some additional info for staying in France.

I'm an official French library card holder!!

Our morning was pretty spent after that and it was time for lunch so we went home, fixed some lunch and did a little cleaning.  I guess even retired you can't spend every day having fun....someone has to clean the apartment and looks like that's us!!!!

At church they were having an annual fund-raising sale of La Cause, the Protestant Foundation in Paris.  It's today and tomorrow and we figured if there was any really good stuff it would go fast so we should go today.

What treasures I got!!!!!!  There was no furniture or big stuff...lots of old (perhaps some antique) toys, books, stamps, postcards, knitted baby things and homemade baked goods (never in the US these days!).  THEN there were tables of dishes, linens, just miscellaneous objects.  The first item I picked up was a silver coffeepot (not really silver, maybe pewter, I don't know but it's heavy) and it was 30Euros.  I was willing to pay that and the lady found me and explained it was a 4-piece set!!!  It included a teapot, sugar and creamer!!!!  Such a deal!!  The blue and white teapot doesn't go with this apartment but my heart still belongs to blue and white and it's French (I checked the bottom and it's also old) and it will go well with its blue and white sister teapots from England that are in storage (it will be coming home with me!).  The old box is for the jewelry I brought, and I liked that it was really old, and the inside (which I didn't show in the pics) is a dark Burgundy silk and the inside lid is tufted.  And it has a little key (which works, I tried it).  The linen piece is really nice and for the dining room table, and the two green/cream plates are to be used in my bedroom (I need to get a third one, I think).  That leaves the boxed "Chocolate" set David found.  I'm not sure what the original intent is but it's French and each glass says "glass of chocolate",  "chocolate dessert homemade", and there is a little spoon for each glass. So I'm thinking hot chocolate or ice cream (there it is again!!!) with chocolate or maybe a little brownie with cream.  Who knows???  But they're cute and we'll use them somehow.


Tomorrow is le jour marche (market day) so we'll be getting out fairly early to see what goodies we can find to eat for the next few days.  That flea market we went to last week in the freezing rain is also open tomorrow....we may hit it too.  We'll see...today's treasures will be hard to beat!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment