Friday, March 30, 2018

STILL SETTLING IN...

Yes, we've been here over three weeks and we are still trying to get settled in.  On one hand, it's easier moving into a space that is furnished (even sparsely as ours was) but on the other hand, it would have been easier had it been unfurnished because then we would have had a blank slate.  And I know what to do with a blank slate!

I've previously told you about the uncomfortable sofa and the French style so unlike my own.  In a way, I needed an attitude adjustment and Nikki was just the one to give it to me (I guess she learned how after years of me giving it to her!!!!).  Anyway, her comment to me was "You didn't come to Paris to replicate your Plano life-so you should make this Paris home your Paris home, not your Plano home in Paris".  I'm sure she said it more eloquently than that (!!!) but I'm sure you get the idea.  It caused me to pause and think about our reason for coming and our desire to experience and embrace a different culture.

So....while my choices are still my choices and my tastes are still my tastes, I'm trying to be open and flexible to other possibilities when my Plano options aren't available and the Paris options are a little different than my taste.

Monday we went to IKEA to see what they had to aid in our settling in.  It was freezing and pouring rain and we rushed to the bus stop in order to (we hoped) reach the bus stop where a free IKEA bus picks up people wanting to go to IKEA.  Traffic was terrible and we really thought there was no way we could get there in time.  And it seemed EVERYONE was going to IKEA!!!!

Crowded but comfortable!

But, our lucky day, our first bus got us to the IKEA stop just before the IKEA bus pulled up and we were in!!!!!  It's amazing how little things like that can brighten your day!!  They have a bus every hour on the hour but this was not the day to have to kill an hour walking around waiting for the next bus.

Anyway, three hours later we were paying for our cartload of fabulous items including three large rugs, decorative pillows, curtains and miscellaneous small items.  They have delivery (not free but when you're on a bus the $$ don't really matter!!!) so we paid for our purchases and went to the area to set up delivery.  The man told us (his minimal English and our minimal French) not only could it be delivered that same afternoon, but we could ride with the driver in his van to deliver it (so we didn't need to take the bus back)!!!!  Well, okay!!!!!  An hour (or so) later we drove up to our building and unpacked our new purchases and spent the late afternoon putting things in place (I love doing this!!!).

Someday soon (I hope) I'll do a post of the finished apartment, maybe I'll even try a little walk-through video so you can see our little Paris home.  But we still need some wall hangings before I welcome you in!  Soon......

No comments:

Post a Comment