Monday, March 19, 2018

HEALTHCARE - March 17

Everything I've read or been told by expats living here has praised French healthcare as one of the best in the world.
We don't join the system until we've been here three months; however, I am getting some healthcare (at my own expense) to address my ongoing knee issues.

Here's my experience so far:

Last week I saw a French chiropractor who studied in Dallas.  His office is in a building not far from us.  It's a very nice office with nice equipment. The receptionist spoke minimal English but was very pleasant and professional.  Note:  this building, I'm sure, houses apartments people live in.  In my building there is an ophthalmologist.

The doctor is, I don't know, maybe late 40's or early 50's.  David went with me because I always think   it's better for two of us to hear what is said to make sure we get it all.  After updating him and talking about and answering his questions, the next thing he said was "Get naked"!!!!!  Okay, "naked" meant underwear only so he could do various tests, measurements etc.  We are in France you know!  This is not my American experience but consistent with all I've read so, okay, I can play by new rules but it did feel a little uncomfortable.  But he was very nice and professional explaining each step along the way.  He watched me walk, took my pulse, listened to my carotid  artery to check blood flow....things no other doctor I've seen has done, plus various hip and back checks.

He spent about two hours with us and the total charge was 100 Euros.  No bad, we thought.  He sent me to get X-rays of my back (again???!!!) and I saw them that afternoon.  Again, in a building not far from us (we're walking to these appointments, of course) that is nice with pleasant, professional staff.

A young woman, who did speak English, took my X-rays then instructed us to wait to "talk to the doctor"!!  I've never talked to the doctor after X-rays---they just send them to the referring doctor who then goes over them with you.  We're not in Kansas anymore!!!!  The doctor reviewed the X-rays in a general way, gave us copies of the X-rays and his report, and the charge was 190 Euros.  Again, we didn't think this was bad at all.  I felt I was getting very personal care, not just being rushed through.

My next appointment was the end of the week with Dr. Legagnoux (my chiro).  He sat down with my X-rays that he had done measurements on (similar to what I'd seen Dr. Curry do on cephalometric X-rays in our orthodontic office)-all on his computer.  Then he explained the "normal" spinal/neck position and my spinal/neck position.  Next he did do some manipulation of my neck, back and hip (fully dressed!!!!) and in a very gentle way.

So......the end result is still unknown!!  He believes my back and hip are the culprits and  today (Monday) he's meeting me (and David) back at the radiologist where they'll do a stress X-ray using a yoga block against my back to see how my back responds to the block.  Then we'll sit down again tomorrow and discuss that.  He wants me to see an orthopedist (another???!!!) he works with to get his opinion.

In Plano, my doctors all worked independently and the medical doctors had no interest in the opinion of a chiropractor.  Here the doctors are all working together to find my problem and the best treatment for it.  I like that better!

I don't know now where this road is leading, but, right now, I'm going down it hoping it ends in better back health and renewed strength and use of my leg.

I'll keep you posted........

(sorry-no pics for this post!!!!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment