Wednesday, March 14, 2018

PARIS - DAY SEVEN - SUNDAY, MARCH 11

Well, it's been one week since we arrived in Paris.  In some ways, that seems just a short time and in some ways it feels like we've been here forever.

The traditional worship service at the ACP (American Church in Paris) is at 11:00.  So about 10:25 we were out the door walking to church.  Unlike the past few days, the skies were blue, mostly clear, and temps were cool but not bad.

This is a beautiful church - old and full of history.  Inside, unlike most of the churches I've been part of, there are tall, stained glass windows in the sanctuary (sorry, but it seems more like a sanctuary than a "worship center" to me), dark wood ornate pews and altar and high curved archways.  It's very quiet and reverent.



However, while we really like the pastor and his sermons, the music is very formal and classical-not our style!  While this music is beautiful, it just doesn't enhance my worship.  Someone said once music in church can take you back to another time, another place.  I think the person saying this thought this was a bad thing but, for me and I can only speak for myself, that helps draw me to God.  I remember seating in church with my parents (and later my friends) and later sitting in church with my little children showing them how to follow in the hymnal (we still use hymnals at ACP) and sit quietly.  The visiting pastor this Sunday is from North Carolina and in his benediction he quoted the words from the old song "Pass It On" that David and I sang in a youth musical when we were in high school.  I hummed it in my mind as he said the words---that brings me to God.  Anyway, they have a "contemporary" service at 1:00 😟 .  We might try it just to see.  It's funny...David said in Plano we went to the "traditional" service and in Paris we may end up in the "contemporary" service!!

After walking home, I was tired but I'd read about a Purim celebration at le Musee de l'art et historic du Judaism (Museum of the Art and History of Judaism) in the Marais.  So we changed clothes and took the metro over.  It was free but there was a line (it did move quickly).  The festivities were in a courtyard and there were people of all ages, cultures and lots of families.




The red coat lady in front of the musicians was the storyteller 

Purim celebrates the salvation of the Jews by Queen Esther when Haman tricked the King of Persia into signing a law to exterminate them.  This is one of my favorite stories in the Bible because it shows how just one person obeying God can make a difference and how God is always working..even in the shadows where you can't see Him.  Even a seemingly insignificant person (like me) can be in the place I'm in "for such a time as this".

Anyway, they had a reading by a great woman storyteller of the story of Esther (in French, of course, but, fortunately, we know the story and we could catch some of the French), music, circle dancing and a pastry, Hamantaschen, you could buy for a snack.  Hamantaschen is a triangular-shaped filled pastry. "Taschen" means pocket to remind us of the hidden identity of Esther (the king didn't know she was Jewish when he made her queen) and the hidden forces of God.  You "devour" the pastry (they were delicious!!!) just as Haman was "devoured" or killed when his wickedness was revealed.  Pretty cool!

These were really tasty with an espresso!!!
It was a really fun Sunday afternoon (and the skies were still clear and sunny!) but I was hungry.  And, as always happens, we couldn't get the oven to work to bake our chicken😠!!!  But we're retired  and we're learning to be flexible so instead of baking it, we stir-fried😉!!



No comments:

Post a Comment