Tuesday, May 29, 2018

THE FRENCH OPEN

Sometimes when you do something to please someone else you end up having a good time too.  That's what happened to me yesterday when I  agreed to go The French Open with David.

Don't get me wrong...I like tennis.  And, as many of you know, we played (together and separately) in Atlanta years ago.  But to go and sit for hours just watching...not my kind of pleasure!!!  But, though I was David's first choice as a "partner" to take, when, at my encouragement (!!!!) he asked several different friends, I was the only available one!!!  I knew he would go alone, but that would be no fun...even for David.  So I went.  I put on my little t-shirt dress (it was warm outside), tennis shoes, hat and sunscreen and was ready to sit.

Now,  besides not sitting in the heat for long periods of time, most of you know I also don't wait in lines for many things or many people.  I've waited in line for shoes and to meet Sarah Jessica Parker several years ago (what a blast that was!!! and I got cute shoes at the end!!!!!!).  I even waited HOURS in the sweltering Roman heat to visit The Sistine Chapel!!  But yesterday, we waited to get in and then again to get something to eat.  I have to say, however, the lines were very efficient and pretty quick.

This was getting near the end..there was a lot of line before this point

Thousands and thousands of people!!!!

The best "food" I ate was a soft-serve chocolate ice cream cone with small chocolate chips in it!!!!!  We got one while watching our second match.  I could have eaten another for lunch but decided on a salad--I have to be good sometimes!!!!😉

Though we are living in France, my blood runs stars and stripes so I rooted for the American in the first match, Caroline Dolehide, whose opponent was Swiss.   It was a really good match,  and I thoroughly enjoyed watching the girls play.  The American won so that was a nice finish.


Caroline is on the right

The second match we watched was between two American girls; one, Madison Keys,  is one of the top 32 players in the tournament.  She grew up in the Quad Cities (we lived there for a while years ago) and first became interested in tennis when she was four because she liked the white tennis dress Venus Williams was wearing at Wimbledon!!!  I thought that was so cute (I knew a little girl once who felt the same way!!),  and it shows an eye for fashion can even pay off in athletics!!!  I enjoyed this match as well and Madison won it pretty quickly.  Now Caroline and Madison will be playing each other in the next match....maybe I can watch it on TV.

Not white, but all coordinating!!!!

After watching those two matches, we grabbed a quick lunch then shopped!!!!!  I couldn't come to The French Open and not buy t-shirts for all the little boys (who are not so little now!!!!).   Mission completed we headed for home tired but having had a fun day...BOTH of us!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment