Friday, May 18, 2018

OUT OF TRAGEDY, JOY!

Tomorrow is the wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.  This will be a mega media event as was the wedding of his brother, William, and his mother, Princess Diana.  Most of you who know me know I admit to being a celebrity freak.  I own it..I have always loved reading of the lifestyles of the rich and famous.  That included royalty.  When Diana married Charles, I watched.  I even owned a book about Diana and her journey to royalty.  I was also watching in 1997 when every news channel was broadcasting her untimely death from a car accident in Paris.  I felt as though they were talking about the death of someone I actually knew....it was so sad.

Over these past almost 21 years, I've continued to watch her young sons grow into men.  One following a fairly conservative, serious path and the other following a more rebellious, independent path.  But Harry seems to have found his way...and tomorrow he'll marry his own princess...still doing it his own way.  And I'll be watching.

Today,  as we were waiting for the bus, we were in front of the tunnel at Pont de l'Alma where the wreck killing Diana occurred.  We walk by there all the time as the market we shop is very near there.  I never noticed the pictures of Diana placed around a sculpture of the flame on the Statue of Liberty at the entrance of the tunnel.







Even after all these years, looking at all the pictures made me so sad.  I was glad when the bus came!

As David and I talked about the accident, we remembered she and Dodi had left the Ritz earlier that evening of the accident, and I asked David where that was compared to where Pont de l'Alma was.  So....we went to Place Vendome where the Ritz is.  Like I said, celebrity freak!!!!

The Ritz-Paris
This is very pretty area surrounded by many designer stores...seeing the hotel just put a face on the place mentioned in all those stories broadcast all those years ago.

But tomorrow is a new day.  It's a happy time and, like the Hallmark movies I love, the girl wins her guy and they (hopefully!) live happily ever after.  Isn't that how fairytales are supposed to end???  And I like to think Diana is looking down and smiling at the fine young men her little princes turned into !!

No comments:

Post a Comment