Monday, April 23, 2018

SOME THINGS THIS GIRL HAS TO HAVE!

Happy Spring!  To give you a taste of what Paris in the springtime looks like "in person",  I've changed my blog header to reflect this beautiful season.  Actually, it was a suggestion from David's sister, Deb.  So David and I worked together to make it happen.  I hope we can change the picture each season to show what it really looks like if you're here.

So,  I wish every time I post it could be about wonderful, historic places, beautiful purchases or fun, different foods but, alas, that is not my complete life in Paris.  We do see new and wonderful places, make fun purchases (especially from markets and brocantes) and eat plenty of treats,  but we also are just doing everyday things that we would do anywhere we lived.  There are three specific things this transplanted Plano girl needs to maintain her "best self".

Seasons change (finally!!) and since I brought minimal clothes not knowing how much storage I would have, I realized there were some things I needed (seriously, needed) as warm weather approached.  So I went in search of Banana Republic/Ann Taylor-like stores to pick up a few things for spring and summer.  This was neither fun nor easy,  and I still hope to find some better alternatives, but I did, at least, find a few items to add to my wardrobe that will get, I'm certain, much wear.

After a winter of neutrals, I wanted some color!

 I also needed to find a nail salon (to keep my toes Parisian chic!!!) and a hair salon (if I don't want to be a gray-haired Parisian!).

The nail salon was pretty easy since there's a salon just outside our building.  If you know me, you know I am all about close and convenient.  Couldn't be closer unless it was in our building!  Having taken care of my toes before we left Plano, there was no hurry but the days passed quickly and it became apparent I needed to try it out.  I've had two appointments there - one mani-pedi and one pedi.  She's more expensive than Christine, my manicurist in Plano, and doesn't do as good a job.  I decided I could do my own nails (but not like Christine!!) and I could go here for pedis.  I may look around for manis since it would be nice every month or so to let a professional clean up the cuticles...my hair salon may do manis.  I'm going to check.

Nothing fancy, but close to home!

Then there's my hair!!  Again, I had it done before leaving so I wouldn't have to rush to find a good salon.  I had asked some of the ladies at Bible study (I do love a good referral!!), but nobody lives in the 7th,  and why should I leave where I live when there are tons of salons here????  Anyway, in all our out-and-abouts we noticed a hair salon around the corner (close and convenient!!) and I gave it a try.  There are two women who work there, neither speaks much English but they speak enough with my little French, that we could communicate.  Pictures from Pinterest didn't hurt!!!!  So I'm still blond and it cost me less than in Plano and I felt she did a nice job.  She commented I would help improve her English and she would help improve my French.  That works for me!!  Next time I'll try a haircut too!!!  By the way, David got a haircut there too and said it was the best haircut he'd ever gotten for 22 Euros!!!

Hair and maybe nails??!!


And here's something I really love about living here....



...last week we decided to walk to leave for French class early and sit by the Seine to go over our homework before class.   It was a beautiful day, we found an empty bench and studied our lesson while people jogged by us, sat along the River relaxing or hurried home after work.  It was so nice and the view was so pretty....it's the little things!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment