Sunday, April 1, 2018

IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE EASTER, IT DOESN'T FEEL LIKE EASTER, BUT IT IS EASTER!!!!

Today when I woke up the Easter Bunny had come!!!  Silently sitting on the mantel in the living room were some Easter treats, one we've had a little trouble finding here and, when we did, we refused to buy because it was so expensive and one symbolizing the bells that are the French Easter Bunny.

Easter treats with a difference!
In Europe Easter is more of a religious holiday than a secular one (thank you ESL for having me learn these things to teach our customs to others).  So there are minimal (if any) Easter Bunny/Santa Claus references.   But, in France, there are chocolates!  The French "story" tells of all the church bells that stop ringing on Good Friday to mourn Christ's death on the cross.  They remain silent all weekend until early Sunday morning when they all fly to Rome to meet all the other bells at the Vatican and they all ring in praise of the risen Savior.  On the way back to France, they drop chocolate down to all the children.  I love that!!!  So my "Easter Bunny" (I am American, after all!!) brought me a chocolate bell (on the left).  And the peanut butter is my "wish I had but won't pay that" treat.  Notice it's a small jar!!!!!

For 60+ years Easter has meant buying something new for church.  My mother dressed us up a little more (more spring-y!!) and I dressed my children up a little more.  It was part of the fun.  And I did look for something, anything, I could buy to spring-up my outfit today.  But, alas, I came up empty  handed😢.  The problem was I knew how cold it was going to be and that we would be outside getting to and from church and at the sunrise service.  I needed function and warmth!!!  But I certainly didn't look like Easter!!!

I even brought my umbrella because it was supposed to rain!
Our sunrise service (the sun didn't really rise, it was too cloudy!) was across from the church near the Seine.  We wondered how many people would be there and David estimated there were over 100.   It was pretty cold (I was glad how warmly I dressed-forget cute dresses and shoes!!!!) but it was a real blessing standing there with other Christians praising Jesus.  Songs were sung (not ones we knew😢), prayers prayed, Scripture read and a short message.  Looking at the beauty surrounding me (even on a cloudy day) I was grateful to be in this place and worshipping in a little different way.


 After the service there was a breakfast at the church (remember, it's just across the street) so we all walked there.  It was in a room upstairs I had never been in but where they hold many meetings and classes.  The volunteers who put it together did such a beautiful job making the tables look pretty and Easter-y and preparing tasty food.  We sat across from a couple (she's Irish and he's French) we could visit with and that was fun too.  What did we eat????  We could choose:  boiled eggs (yes), sausage (yes), French toast (yes, please), yogurt with fruit (no-they were running out and I decided to leave it for those who really like a French breakfast!), and three types of chocolates-caramel, peanut butter (where do they get their peanut butter????!!!), and various juices and coffee/tea.  Really yummy!

Cute tables-I appreciated the work involved!

The traditional service we attended following breakfast was beautiful but, again, different from what we've known.  The church was packed (that we've seen before!) but we didn't hear any of the "Easter" songs we grew up with (Victory in Jesus, Low in the Grave etc).  But the music was lovely and worshipful, the special music nice, the readings and Scripture mindful of the occasion and the sermon, as usual, was excellent.  We also observed the Lord's Supper (communion in their words!) which we've done several times this week at the various services we've attended.  At the end of the service (during the final hymn),  those who wanted to could walk up and join in singing "The Hallelujah Chorus" closing. In all honesty, I would have stayed put but David (surprisingly!) wanted to go up so up we went!!!!  Each of us was handed the music and when it was time, we all sang.  Okay, I consider myself a soprano, but this is wayyyyyy out of my range.  But nobody could tell and it was a fun way to participate--they said you didn't have to be a singer so I'm sure we weren't alone in our meager abilities!!!  And I don't think Jesus cared about how well we sang!

Our first Easter in Paris.....like many other things,  a new experience in our new culture.  And that's why we've come........Joyeuses Paques!!!! (Happy Easter!)

No comments:

Post a Comment