Thursday, April 5, 2018

DAVID LEBOVITZ!!

Last night (Wednesday) we went to the American Library and saw David Lebovitz who was there talking about his new book "L'Appart" and signing books.  If you've never heard of David, I first became familiar with him after reading his book "My Sweet Life in Paris".  He's an American pastry chef who spent many years in a restaurant in the San Fransisco area before deciding to move to Paris.  I enjoy his books especially since he also tells his story of building a new life in Paris.

I bought "L'Appart" as soon as it hit the stands in the U.S.   It's about his renovation of the apartment he bought in Paris after renting for many years.  He's brutally honest (which I like) but you also know as you're reading he loves Paris so his criticisms are truthful but not hateful.  You know what I mean??  Anyway, I haven't tried any of his recipes (we were getting ready to move) but his "life in Paris" writings were an encouragement to me as we prepared to make this journey.

Though I wanted to bring his books with us when we moved so I could try some of the recipes, David said "are you crazy???", those are heavy books and will add to our suitcase weight.  Arghhhhh!  So, they are in storage in a box!!!  So....David bought me another of his books "My Paris Kitchen" that he wrote as his apartment was completed.  It's full of recipes both sweet and savory and also tells a story of marketing, knowing how to do the markets, etc.  I wanted a book for him to sign,  and I love a hardback cookbook!!!!

He was very much as I expected.  He's very friendly, funny and honest.  The man interviewing him has known him many years and is a well-known (I guess!) food critic/magazine writer and that made the interview very comfortable.  The little room the library put us all in was packed and got very stuffy.

BTW that's not me with the teal scarf!
When the interview and questions were finished, you could buy copies of many of his books and he would sign it.  He was also signing any of his books you may have brought with you.  He spent a nice amount of time with each guest chatting which I always appreciate.  The event was free and there was no sign-up-I wasn't sure what to expect audience-wise.  I thought it might be women heavy but, actually, there were many middle-aged couples so David didn't feel out of place.  He'd read "L'Appart" but wasn't as enthralled with it simply because we don't intend to buy an apartment.

The last time I did this was with Sarah Jessica Parker and her shoes!!!!
It was a nice evening followed by dessert (a shared banana split and coffee!!!) at a favorite little cafe on the corner of our street.  I've already begun reading the new cookbook for something to try in our little Paris kitchen!!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment