Friday, April 3, 2020

WHAT HAPPENED TO SPRING?????

I thought we had crossed over to spring and then...I woke up this morning to cloudy, rainy skies and temps in the 40's.  What happened to spring????  I guess that's living in the Midwest.

I really didn't mind a rainy day.  Sometimes the occasional rainy day is cozy for reading, movies and napping...three of my favorite activities!  Of course, these days I can do those things almost any day!!

Still, we needed to hit the grocery store and Trader Joe's if we want to eat next week.  So late morning we bundled up and out we went...

Ready for the task at hand

In addition to my scarf (and David's hat), we both had gloves with us...not for germs, for warmth!!

When I receive blog posts from Paris friends, the scenes from the city streets there make me sad because they're so empty and quiet which is so foreign there.  But even here it feels eerie and sad a little.  Though the daytime crowds this time of year aren't huge, there are always people strolling around, people in cafes and activity, more at night, of course,  But now...

What a difference a few weeks makes

it's pretty empty.  The weather doesn't help but by midday there usually is activity.  However, flowers are blooming in the pots and, though I didn't get a picture, there are beautiful tulips not only on the Plaza but in the landscapes of many homes we pass on the way to the store.

I had planned to take some photos of empty shelves at our store as many have shared how their stores were bare in many areas.  But I actually didn't notice many...yes, there are some shelves that are really light on product, but we haven't had any trouble finding those items we need.  One thing I did notice (and took advantage of!!) was the in-store Starbucks was open.  The Starbucks with drive-throughs appear to be open but our Starbucks on the Plaza is closed as it does not have a drive-through.  In fact, the in-store Target Starbucks was closed Monday when we were there.  So....I picked up a hot Peppermint Mocha for David and I to share on this cold day!  I don't think I've ever appreciated Starbucks so much!!!!

Next stop...Trader Joe's.  This was a little different experience, even from last week.  Perhaps you've experienced this at your local TJ's as well.  Last week, they informed everyone they were doing a "one out, one in" plan and they had an employee manning the door.  No big deal.  We got in right away.  Today...we waited in this line...

The line at Trader Joe's today

for about 10 minutes.  As you can see, everyone is observing the social distancing rule, many were masked and some also were wearing gloves.  It was cold but at least the area is covered so the rain didn't present an additional problem.  The employee out front was a perfect person to monitor us as she was very positive and upbeat and friendly.  We're all in this together,  and she was certainly a great ambassador for TJ's in reflecting their attitudes regarding safety, customer service and the difficulties we're all facing during this time.  Once in the shopping went quickly, we were out and someone else able to come in.  And I didn't notice any shortages in products.

I know most of you are probably experiencing these same things where you are.  But I wanted to let you know what's going on here...I'm reading from many of the blogs I follow (some by friends of mine) how many are struggling with anxiety and fear at this time.  And everywhere you are able to find places and resources to help deal with those issues, workouts, meditations, activities etc.  For a person who has struggled with panic attacks and migraine headaches for many many years, the whole mind-over-matter techniques I've practiced for those issues are being put to good use now.  While there are many things we can't control in this time, we do have control over what we think about, what we watch on TV, what we read.  For me (and this isn't just for now) I keep it all happy and positive.

And, God is still in control and I'm good with that!  

No comments:

Post a Comment