Wednesday, April 15, 2020

HOMEY HODGEPODGE

...and so the days pass and we find ways to feel productive, creative and peaceful.  At least, that's what I'm trying to do and some days it's easier than others.

So...after planting our flower boxes in the back and getting a beautiful fern for the sunroom, we picked up some petunias to plant in the pots that are outside the front of our building by the steps to our front door.  I'm not sure whose responsibility it is to do this but we volunteered at an HOA meeting since they were empty when we arrived and seemed to collect trash (ugh!!!).  We already had the dirt and the flowers were cheap so not a big investment.  Since planting we've had a little freeze but they seem to have survived...this time.  I don't know how often they will survive low temps but, hopefully, we're near the end of cold weather.

What a difference flowers make!

As you know, I've taken advantage of this time to try new recipes or make things I did before my "working days" when I had more time and desire.  This week I made popovers...herb-flavored to complement the smoky corn soup we were having.  The day we had this for supper the temps had gotten colder so the soup and bread was a cozy, tasty meal.  Now, I've made muffins, biscuits, cupcakes etc. for years but I don't think I've tried a popover.  My recipe said I could use muffin tins if I didn't have popover tins (which I didn't).  They didn't turn out quite as pretty as I had hoped but they did taste really good...especially warm with butter and our soup!!!

Wonky but tasty first-time popovers!

I could eat soup every day..and sometimes do

Obviously, we froze many of the popovers for a later time.   I do want to make them again and see if I can get them less wonky!!!!

David and I got hooked on a series of novels by Cara Black, the Aimee Leduc Mystery Series, where each novel takes place in a different arrondissement in Paris (there are 20).  We had the pleasure of meeting Cara while we were in Paris and, in fact, she came and spoke at the last Bloom event we had at The American Church.  We've read all the Aimee books and have been waiting for Cara's new novel, Three Hours in Paris,  to come out.  Well, it did and I finished it this week.  Again, Cara has researched her time period, history and locations.  Because I love her other series so much, l was really afraid this book wouldn't meet the mark for me.  But, friends, it was excellent (in my opinion)!  The main character, Kate, is a sharpshooter hired to kill Hitler during his three hours in Paris.  Check it out...it's "a work of fiction but it is drawn from a range of real-life inspirations" (Cara Black).  I don't think you'll be sorry.

Read this book...really!!

I told a friend recently I'm going to end this "quarantine" fat and gray if I'm not careful!!  So, as I've mentioned before,  David and I are trying to walk our little park most days.  We're also doing some stretches for our backs and my hip.  Because I'm a lover of strength training and don't have any free weights here, we're using the tubed bands and doing strength workouts from my Turbo Fire workout cds.  These are really good workouts for arms and legs (I can't do the leg workouts right now) so a couple of times each week we're working on muscle building.  I need these things to counteract the popovers and cinnamon rolls!!!!!

I love Chalene and her kickboxing but
right now that's off limits...boo!

I prefer free weights but these are a good
substitute for now and easily hidden from view

The gray issue will be another post when I tackle some of my personal beauty issues.  Things have been ordered...now I just have to get brave enough to do it myself.  I have been there, done that and thought I'd never do it again!!!  I know, I know...vanity run amok!!  I own it and make no excuses for it.  We'll see if I still feel this way in a couple of months!!!

I hope everyone is well and finding peace in this unusual situation.  While I mostly read fun, entertaining novels, I have also read Adam Hamilton's daily devotional "Living Unafraid".  He's the pastor at Church of the Resurrection we've been attending.    He also has a book,  "Unafraid",  and this is the accompanying devotional to it.  I haven't read the book but did the devotional and it's very uplifting and encouraging during this time we're all in.  Check it out if you want an encouraging voice in your head.



I need to pick up the original book but
these devotionals are easy and short
Take care everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment