Friday, June 21, 2019

THIS AND THAT

This will be short little post with a few new things I've seen/experienced in the past week or so I thought you might be interested in.

I went to my doctor yesterday just for a check of a few issues I've been having.  He checked me over (not a big deal and he didn't weigh me!!!) and suggested we do some blood work just to verify things are okay.  Fine with me.  So after fasting last night, we walked to the lab (close to the apartment).  Just a comment about healthcare here that I've experienced....everyone has been very professional and courteous (even to me an American), office space, though different from the US, is clean and sanitary looking, and procedures are quality just like my experience in the US.  Between us we were able to convey our reason for being there and respond to the receptionist's questions.   The lab tech was friendly, spoke a little English and I only felt a little prick!  Easy peasy!!!  When we paid, it came to 23 Euros (plus change)!!!!!  Are you kidding me?????   She took my Carte Vitale and filed it so we'll get a tiny bit of the 23 back but, like David said, who cares?  The US really has to get its healthcare under control...and that's my political rant for now!!!!😀

When Courtney was here, we were crossing a bridge and looked down and saw this along the Seine...

I AM going to try this!!!!

...now THIS is how I want to exercise!!!!  There aren't very many bikes..maybe 5-6 and this was the only person I saw taking advantage of them.  David and I plan to go over there sometime and "take a ride".  Obviously, along the Seine you see lots of joggers, walkers, and sometimes even a boot camp. Bicyling is an activity that won't bother my hip so I'll keep you posted if we do indeed try this.

Sunday we walked over to an area near us along the Seine David found on one of his daily walks.  It's a barge-like area with concrete blocks for sitting or laying, lots of bushes and trees and, yes, it does rock when a tour boat passes!  It was sunny and gorgeous Sunday so we took our books over and found a place to sit and soak up some sun and read.  Though there were some families with younger children, it was relatively quiet and peaceful there.  We will definitely do it again...perhaps during the week when it's even quieter (tourists are too busy "touring" to stop and enjoy something like this!) and maybe we'll take some water and a treat!!!!

How beautiful is this???  In one area there are even rope hammocks but they were all taken when we were there-

This is the road right along the Seine where there are always lots of bicyclists, joggers, walkers-you go up stairs from here to "street level" where traffic is-

Something I didn't mention from Courtney's visit was our visit to E.Dehillerin, Julia Child's kitchen supply store I have mentioned before (and shopped before!).  If you remember, Courtney's previous visit she bought some really nice wooden spoons (yes, not all wooden spoons are created equal!).  Anyway, this visit she wanted to buy a copper pot.  She had in mind what she wanted and, having just renovated their kitchen, she was ready to go.  The associate who helped us spoke pretty good English (always helpful!) and this is what we walked out with...

Copper pot from E.Dhillerin!!
I love the style she chose and may purchase one myself before we leave.  But I still want to check out the antique shop at Bayeux where David saw those copper saucepans!!!!


Another thing I saw recently that I haven't noticed before is this "fountain"....

This was in the middle of the sidewalk along a busy street

...the lady I saw using it was getting a drink from it like a drinking fountain.  However, later I saw several people washing their hands and even refilling a water bottle.  The water in Paris is very safe and drinkable so not unusual for people to get a quick drink in their walking or shopping.  I don't know how many of these are around, but I do know there are some that are very pretty...like statues.

I would never have known the purpose of this pretty statue until I saw someone using it!

Again, living in the city is very different from living in the suburbs and so these little things I find fascinating are probably just because I'm "city ignorant" having lived in the burbs all my life.

And that's it for now from our quiet little corner of Paris......😊

No comments:

Post a Comment