Wednesday, June 19, 2019


CHANEL

In December when Courtney and family came, we had planned to give her a Fashion Tour Walk.  Sadly, at the last minute it was cancelled when the guide got sick.  But when they decided to return in June, Courtney rebooked it for the two of us.  Paris Walks has two Fashion Tours - one is primarily Chanel and the other is a Vintage Walk.  We chose Chanel.

We met Brigette from Paris Walks at WHSmith Bookstore and were off.  Brigette was our guide on the Chocolate Tour we took when Nikki and her family were here so I knew we were in good hands.  After spending an introductory time in a Polish church getting some background information, we headed to Chanel.

Thank you, Chanel, for a wonderful visit!

There are many Chanel boutique stores in Paris.  This is the flagship store so I knew our experience would be a good one.  I've never been in any of the couture stores here (well, I did go into a Louboutin shoe store once on a visit and it was a bad experience).  It was really nice having Brigette with us because she had no hesitation or shyness and also, of course, speaks French.

It's a beautiful store and very open and spacious.  All the associates wear black and are very French looking and professional.  While it's very elegant and beautiful, we found all the people to be very warm and friendly.  And most, not surprisingly, spoke English.

We started in makeup and perfume.  That was Courtney's main focus (originally!!!).  She loves fragrance and smelled many.  I do have Chanel's Mademoiselle and love it but right now don't need any additional fragrance.  Their makeup was beautiful and both areas were so uncluttered.  You know how in the US department stores you have a million (it seems) choices with counter after counter of all the products.  Here there were two, maybe three walls, where various bottles of fragrance were exhibited.  The makeup was on a cylindrical unit away from the walls where you could see the various lip, eye, face products.   And, I have to say, I didn't find the makeup prices to be that much more than department store brands.  I know what I pay for MAC lipstick...yes, it's less but this is Chanel after all

Anyway, later we walked through shoes (be still my heart!!!) and Courtney tried to tell me I should buy a pair of Chanel flats as my "keepsake" purchase since I can't wear heels right now.  They are a classic flat and practical here (or anywhere, I suppose) but my heart belongs to heels!  Perhaps, before November, I'll check it out again to get me buy til my hip is replaced.  However, in trying to sell me Courtney sold herself on their practicality for her teacher life and ended up buying a pair of black quilted flats.

I think this is the right shoe!!!


While she was trying on shoes, Lea, our associate, was right there helping her and checking to see how they fit her foot.  We were offered champagne, coffee or water (sparkling or flat) and it was all a very relaxed, fun experience.

It ended up taking much of the day because in order to get her tax back, Courtney needed her passport which, of course, she didn't have on her.  We called the guys and David went to the apartment to get it.  What a good dad!!

While we waited for the passport, we walked to a little cafe, Mademoiselle, for a salad lunch.  It was cool and rainy, but we sat outside and had a nice lunch people watching and visiting.  Then we met up with David and got the required passport.


A quiet lunch waiting for the passport

We thought we'd just go in with the passport and they'd get the information they needed, Courtney would pay and we'd be done.  Not quite that easy.  We went from one "waiting area" to another to another.  We did, however, get offered another beverage while we were waiting to get to the "checkout" person.  Had we not been concerned about the guys with the little boys all this time, it would have been a leisurely, pampered time.

She did, by the way, get a new perfume, Chance (one of the new ones, I believe), and an eyeshadow palette that is the most beautiful packaging I've seen for eyeshadow.  And this is how it looked as we walked out of the store....

This is the shoes - camellias were Coco Chanel's favorite flower


This is the perfume


They're almost too pretty to open!!!!  I'm a sucker for packaging...it can be a little, not spectacular present but if it's wrapped fabulously, I'm in heaven.  What can I say????????

We both walked away saying what a beautiful experience it was.  Sometimes it's not as much about the item purchased but the experience of the purchase.  Kudos to Chanel!  Coco would be proud!!


No comments:

Post a Comment