Sunday, December 16, 2018

TOUCHES OF CHRISTMAS

One of the things I didn't consider when we moved to Paris was the difficulty I would have in finding "just the right thing" to decorate the apartment for holidays, Christmas especially.  And, because we were unsure of the space we would have here, I didn't bring hardly anything from home.  Big mistake. Big!!!!

So, slowly, we have done little touches in the house (aka apartment!!) to give it a sweet Christmas spirit.

It's a cute little tree shining bright!

I previously posted our Christmas trees, but I don't think I had a picture of the tree in our bedroom at that time.  So, here it is!  Actually, I think, as is often the case, I like this tree the best.  Because we've had to decorate our room with white and green (because of the cute little green chair that was here), I decided to decorate our tree with white and gold ornaments.  It could use some green ornaments but it's fine for now.  We put it in front of the window (as you can see), but it's kind of difficult to get the window open to open and close the shutters at night.  Oh, well.  It's a perfect place to do my quiet time...you can just barely see the little green chair!!

I love this scene! We chose a little old couple (on the far left) to represent us!


Our pretty tree fits perfectly in this corner-we had hoped to see if our fireplace worked, but decided for now it's fine unused

Here's our living room tree I posted earlier.  We put our nativity and santon village on the fireplace mantle.  The nativity scene (to the right) was given to us by David's dad before our wedding.  One of his customers had given it to him.  All these Christmases (nearly 45) I have gently put this little creche out..even with my small children.  We have a three-legged sheep now and some slightly chipped noses, but it remains close to my heart,  and I was deliberate in bringing it with us.  As some of you may know, santons became popular during the French Revolution when the government banished anything religious so manger scenes were gone.  People began creating figures of the people in the village to use instead.  Later these figures were added to the creche scene.  David and I bought ours at a little shop here as our gift this year to each other.  Forever it will be a memory of our time in Paris.

Dining room mantle

The dining room mantle has taken some work.  I finally ended up with a pretty simple look.  We bought the candelabra (which I love) at a flea market.  I had it on the table at Thanksgiving,  and it was absolutely lovely lit!  Fresh greenery, red/black checked ribbon (compliments of Nikki in a box she sent earlier!!) and small red poinsettias.

Since I don't have a window view, I love this little area as I do dishes.  It makes me happy!

Nikki sent this hanging basket in a fall box she sent.  It's been wonderful to change out for the season/holiday. Since the tiles in the kitchen are white with red and lime green fruit, I decided to make the most of the colors and filled the basket with fresh greenery, lime green and red shiny small balls, a few berries (fake) and a distressed star to top it off.  Greenery, green balls and pinecones around my calendar (which I love because at least I know the month and date even if I'm never sure what day it is!!!!lol) and a red checked bow on the teapot.  Oh, and a red striped towel (you can barely see it!).  I also have a little artificial tree on top of the microwave.


Here are some other little spots I tried to touch this year...

Old picture of David's grandmother and fresh Christmas greens


Just a touch on a small wall in our teeny tiny toilette


This works this year since I don't have my Christmas dishes😢 but I'm still looking!!!!

I guess that's it for now.  Our calendar is getting pretty busy as the holidays get closer.  We had lunch with friends Friday (they live about an hour or so outside Paris so we had to take the train) that lasted into the evening (and was a blast by the way!!), tonight (Sunday) we've been invited by friends to a small concert by their best friend at his apartment followed by dinner at a restaurant and then this week there are hair appointments (me!!), Bible studies (both of us), and lunch with another couple.  Sometime I have to try and do some holiday baking...

Hope you are enjoying this season, remembering the Reason for it and taking the time to make some memories you'll carry with you for years to come!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment