Wednesday, December 12, 2018

CHRISTMAS IN PARIS - FINKELSTEIN STYLE!!

We couldn't wait any longer to decorate the apartment!  Everywhere around us looked like Christmas and our apartment (cute as it may be!!) seemed plain and sad.   So....last Friday (I think) we walked to the end of our street where our florist was selling Christmas trees.  Though his flowers are pricey (we think), his trees weren't bad compared to others we'd looked at.  Plus they would be easier to get home!!!!

Price chart-easy to follow!!! Each tree with a different color ribbon!

We had decided to get one larger tree for the living room then two smaller ones for our bedroom and the guest room (for the kids while they're here!).  We could've gotten a really tall tree since our ceilings are so high, but really didn't want to spend that much money plus getting it home could be a problem.  As it was, we picked a really nice tree and he netted it up for us.

All wrapped up and ready to go!

We couldn't get them all home at once, so David took the big one first.  He'd  had this "When Harry Met Sally" Christmas tree moment in his head for days!  His reality was a little easier than Sally's dragging her tree in the snow, but I think ours might have been heavier!  Let's just say David got his strength training in that day!!!

He's smiling now but later he was glad he didn't have farther to go!!!

You may notice they put the trees in a block of wood (actually a tree stump cut in half it looks like) so they can't be watered.  This is one of the reasons we waited to get our tree hoping it will stay presentable til after the holidays.  I am spritzing it with water every day,  and we do keep the apartment cool so, hopefully, it'll be fine.  I wondered what I could cover the bottom with (I have no tree skirt) but, actually, we think it looks good without a skirt.  Very natural!

The smaller trees were easier to carry.  David brought them to the apartment and placed them inside the building, I held the door (a big job!!!lol) then we took them to the apartment via the lift.  I can't even imagine having to drag them up four flights of curving stairs!!!!!

I did get in with the trees!!

The taller tree got the lift to itself (plus us, of course!). Anyway, chosen, paid for and taken home.  Now for the fun part!

Obviously, we have been decorating Christmas trees for 45 years so have accumulated tons of ornaments, most of which at this point have sentimental value to us.  Now don't judge, but I didn't bring any ornaments except for 2-3 because we didn't really know what kind of space we'd have.  Big mistake. Big. We'd been out buying ornaments with our tree themes in mind (we wanted the guest room tree to more kid friendly since Jacob and Jonah will sleep there).  What a job!!  And not a fun one as far as I'm concerned.  All three trees could use more ornaments, and the living room tree could use more large ornaments (we've been out multiple times buying additional ornaments), but, really, they're fine and look nice.  However, I always loved looking at our trees (I've had one in every room for many years) and the memories they evoke in me.  It's okay....this year is Paris!

It's a great tree,  and I love when it's one at night while we watch movies!


The guest room tree is cute in red and white!
I don't have a picture of our tree, but I did it in gold and white since that's what's in our bedroom (with a little green).  We turn it on at night when we go to bed while we're reading....the only problem is I have to get up when we're ready for lights out to turn of the tree lights!!!

Yesterday I did Christmas cards.  In France it is more traditional to send New Year's greetings rather than  Christmas so we had a little trouble finding cards.  Ironically, our cards are English (as in the UK) but here we are in France.  It's all about timing and planning and, obviously, we didn't consider either!!!  It took me all morning, and I listened to Christmas music as I worked.  Music always makes working nicer!!!


David found the wreath-it's a keeper!!

How do you like my funky Christmas centerpiece??!!  I originally was going to get the traditional green wreath and candles then saw this (or something like this) and it "called my name"!!!!  The tablecloth and accessories will change but I liked it for our Paris Christmas!!!

Tomorrow a few more pics of little spots in the apartment...now all I need are some Christmas dishes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment