Wednesday, July 11, 2018

BELGIUM - BRUGGE - PART 2

We were up earlier on Friday because we were going to Brugge which was several hours away from the house.  The night before we discussed our travel options: driving (Karen had rented a car for her time in Belgium) or train.  Obviously, there are up sides to both options.  That morning as we were discussing the plans for the day, Karen said she'd decided to just drive.  That was fine by me since I've missed car travel and I could just sit in the back and enjoy the ride!!!  David was the navigator along with the GPS in her car.

It took about two hours or so to get to Brugge, and it didn't disappoint.  It is a charming city with, of course, lots of cafes and shops but enough space you don't feel crowded.  Again, lunch was our first priority since we'd had our light breakfast much earlier and were all running on low.  This day I opted for minestrone soup (and of course fresh bread) since I wasn't yet ready for "dinner" again.  The cafe was again nice and we ate outside.  There were trees all around and the weather couldn't have been better...warm but with a nice breeze.


The architecture in these cities is almost fairy-tale like!

I started not feeling well after lunch but "the show must go on" so we strolled the square enjoying this lovely city.  I really wasn't looking for anything to buy,  but we happened upon a little flea market down one street and found an old, distressed, white iron key with hooks for putting on a wall and hanging things.  We've been looking for some sort of hooks for the kitchen so I can hang up the aprons I brought.  Voila!!!!  This was perfect,  and it is currently on the wall holding aprons!!!!!  It's the little things!!!!!


Will this go back with us???  Apron-yes, key-maybe!!!

There were a nice variety of shops which was a little different from Brussels where it seemed the majority of shops were lace and chocolate.  Back to strolling after finding the apron key, we saw a shop with....aprons!!!!!!  So in we went and out we came with a blue and white "Brugge" apron!!!!  I've decided to try and buy an apron in every country we visit--I already have aprons from France (from a previous visit) and UK (from a previous visit) so this is my first new apron.  These are not just momentos, I use aprons when I cook and especially when I bake and often I need extras for the boys if they're at my house baking with me.  A mim must be prepared!!!!!

We ended our day in Brugge with a boat ride on a canal that ran through the city.  We were all tired and sitting on a boat hearing some history about the city from the driver was a relaxing, fun way to end our day.

I do love being retired with this guy!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment