Monday, June 18, 2018

A MONASTIC RETREAT - THE ABBAYE DE FLEURY - Part 1


As we began our Paris adventure,  we knew we wanted this time to be one of new experiences, new places and new friends.  While each day doesn't always present something new, we are always open and excited when we are introduced to a new opportunity.


Several months ago, shortly after arriving in Paris, our church shared information about a weekend retreat being held in June in the Loire Valley at an abbey run by Benedictine monks.  We would have group time together lead by our visiting pastor and her husband, eat meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) prepared at the Abbey, and join in the "Offices" of the monks-prayer times, mass, an readings that happened six times each day.

We signed up.  Oh, yes, and there would be periods of silence and reflection!!!!!  Now...those of you who know us well know silence isn't how either of us operates......especially moi!!!!!  But this would be good for us....a new experience and we might make some new friends.  That, perhaps, was the biggest motivator for both of us!

There were several people signed up to drive and we were connected to a young woman, Alina, who graciously agreed to take us with her.  We took the train outside the city near where Disneyland is and she picked us up at the train station.  It took us about 2.5 hours to get to Saint-Benoit-sur-Loire (the city town) and it was the nicest drive.  Alina's husband suggested she take the longer route which would take us through many small towns/villages and countryside.  Simply lovely!!!!  She was a lovely young woman and will be helping us with the Bloom event held in October that David and I have agreed to lead.

We were told our accommodations would be sparse and simple and we were to bring our sheets, towels and soap.  Done!  There were couples as well as singles attending and, because we were among the first to arrive, we got first choice of a room.  We chose a little corner room kind of off by itself that had a toilette and shower right outside our door (good for getting up in the night!!!!).

Simple but adequate-I should have brought my own pillow!!!

Sink was to the right with a mirror

There was a small closet and a sink with mirror in our room.  That window opened (which was great at night) and also had a dark, pull-down shade for sleeping (which was also great).  The view outside the window was so quaint.


The view from the window in our room

The Abbey was founded around 630 by monks arriving in Orleans after fleeing Italy.  The construction of the Porch Tower began in 1020 and the facility completed around 1180.  But it's France and in 1790 the French Revolution caused the dispersal of the monastic community and the destruction of its buildings.  However, the abbey church was saved by becoming the local parish church.  It is still open to the city's people who you see attending various of the many daily services.  In 1944 full monastic life was restored at Abbey Fleury.


Abbey Fleury - Saint-Benoit-Sur-Loir






From the choir loft looking out to the congregation.  We sat here each "service" while the monks did their readings and chants from the choir loft, pictured below.
David and I attended all but a few of the "Offices" or prayer times during the time we were there.  Of course, everything was in French,  and we were among the few participants who did not speak French.  Most of our group did which made it so much easier for them.  We could pick up booklets for the hymns and psalms and that helped us a little as we can read French better than we can hear it.  But it was still very difficult and, for me, took away some of the richness I feel I could have had if I had completely understood their readings.
I did, however, love the reverence and quiet of the setting.






Simple meals wasn't a problem to us...however, breakfast was baguette, jam and beverage.  That doesn't do it for me...I knew I'd start fading fast so we picked up some fruit at a little market.  A good banana helps a lot!!!!  Sunday morning we walked to a little restaurant in the town and had breakfast..yogurt, croissant, fruit and hot chocolate.  Better!  One lunchtime we had what I thought was chicken (but an attached leg and thigh and I'm a boneless breast girl!) and the lady next to me (one of our group I'd gotten to know) asked if I knew what it was.  I said "chicken???". When she said no, I said "don't tell me till I've eaten it!".  It was rabbit!!!!!!  Well, okay then!!!!!  Not bad, but she said it would have been better with a mustard sauce.  Another lunch (or maybe dinner) we had what looked like beef in a sauce to me.  The young man serving me (again a part of our group I'd met) asked if I wanted some and then said "it's tongue."  Not wanting to be disagreeable, I said "why not?" then told him he should have waited to tell me what it was until I'd eaten it like the woman had done earlier with the rabbit!!!!  He is French but he didn't even eat the tongue!!!!!!!!  Actually, it wasn't bad, but I wouldn't order either if I were dining out!!!!!  New experiences!!!!!  Dessert, per French habit, was cheese and fruit.  David and I picked up a brownie for sharing in our room the second night!!!!!!!!!😁

Was the weekend what we expected?  In a way, I suppose.  We did meet and visit with new people, some of whom may become friends in our new home and some of whom we may find ourselves serving with at church.  Was it the spiritual awakening it might have been for others...I don't think so. It did cause David and I to share new thoughts with each other and caused me to think about my own spiritual roots and the wonderful Christian foundation that has blessed my life.  And maybe that's enough.......

Tomorrow the city of Saint-Benoit Sur-Loire!








No comments:

Post a Comment