Sunday, March 29, 2020

HOW WE'RE SPENDING OUR TIME

It's amazing how quickly the days go when you're not able to get out much and live in 1300 square feet!!!  In addition to that, we've only lived here five months (already??!!) so everything should be (the key word!!) in good order.

David continues to get up early (we're talking before 6 a.m.) and walk every morning (unless it's raining).  When he returns, I'm up and we've begun a new habit of doing (or trying to do) the New York Times Crossword Puzzle.  We sit at our counter,  have our coffee/tea, and work together  on it.  Not surprising, David is much better at it than I am; however, I contribute my share and I do know some things he doesn't!!!!  As you know, each day gets harder and one day I just gave up.  I don't care that much.  David, however, perseveres...with success, I might add.  Anyway, it's kinda fun.

Here's one puzzle from this week

Friday used to be cleaning day,  but we have recently changed that to Saturday so we can go to the grocery store when it's not as busy.  We are, after all, retired so why should we fight the Saturday morning crowds (on typical, non-Coronavirus days).  Anyway,  Friday was a beautiful, sunny day and nearly 70 degrees so we opened windows.  Oh, it was lovely and felt like spring!  It made me want to get the flower boxes I'm planning and put them out in the back of our apartment.  But when you open windows that have been closed all winter (and probably never opened by the looks of them), the window sills are gross!!!!  Moving in I had cleaned out some of them I knew we would open but the double breakfast area windows I had not.

You know how you start out just doing a "little something" and it balloons into a "big something"????  Well, that's what happened.  I was just going to wipe out the sills and David said we might as well clean the entire window.  Seriously, I think I could have been happy with the sill cleaned, but, oh, well!!!  We actually had a "meant to be" conversation with the window cleaning---we've talked many times how well suited we are to each other in so many ways.  As he was struggling to get storm windows out (all the other windows have been replaced but these...they're the original and are raised by a cord along the side like David said they had in the house he grew up in), I said we were destined to be together...I grew up with a mother and grandmother who washed windows spring and fall and he grew up with a mother who taught him to wash windows as he helped her.  We are perfectly suited!!!!

Not the best picture..there was more labor involved than this shows!!

We weren't able to remove the screens so they just got vacuumed but, still, they look so much better and we kept the windows open all day til the sun went down and it started to cool off.  We can't reach the outside of the windows so we'll have to ponder that.  Perhaps, sometime, we'll replace them but for now...not bad.

So our cleaning took a lot longer and by finish we were exhausted.  We decided for supper to make our French quiche that we made many times when friends came in Paris.  That with a nice salad makes a pretty easy, tasty meal.

Obviously this will feed us again sometime this week!!

Like many of you, we've been having church online the past several Sundays.  While I miss the community of actually being in church, it does have some advantages...like David gets his morning walk in as usual and we have time for a nice breakfast.  I've been in the mood for pancakes lately which is not my usual breakfast fare.  So today we fixed blueberry pancakes (no mix!!) from an old recipe I had that David's sister passed on to me years ago as we were both raising our children.  It's simple and good and hit the spot before we tuned in to worship.

Blueberry pancakes before church...


This afternoon we walked a couple of loops around our park across the street.  We've been doing that late afternoon most days this week.  It's especially nice when it's sunny and mild.  There are usually quite a few people walking, joggers, people at the strength stations, some people sitting on benches and sometimes guys/kids playing in the grassy areas.  Trees are beginning to bud and flowers are beginning to bloom.  In the near future, it's going to be really pretty.

Tulips (I had to ask my daughter-in-law because they're not the traditional tulip I recognize)

Today, for the first time I've seen, the city has taped off the strength equipment so it can't be used.  I certainly understand that in this climate.  When we used the equipment last week (before taping) I wore gloves (not rubber, my winter gloves then came home and washed them).  David and I have been doing a strength training band workout I have on video so we don't need the stations right now.  But it was just an interesting addition...

Sign of the times

It is certainly a strange season we're all in right now,  and I hope you're all making the most of the perks of it as we're trying to do.  There's an old song "Love the One You're With" by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young..these days I think it's probably just as important that you "like the one you're with" if you're going to be with them all the time!!


https://youtu.be/921CsfhKzqw

No comments:

Post a Comment