Tuesday, September 3, 2019

THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME

Like many Parisians do each year, this year we took off the month of August and flew back to the United States--our first trip back in 18 months.

I wondered how it would feel returning to US grounds...would I feel like I was home, would I feel like I was a foreigner, or would I just feel like I was on vacation???  Too, I'd left open the possibility we might realize while on US soil we were not ready to return and would live out the remainder of our second-year visa (taking us to March, 2020).  I felt quite open to all possibilities.

We arrived in Boston spending our first several days with dear friends (Americans) from Paris.  Though we were anxious to see our kids, this brief visit rejuvenated us from the flight and prepared us for the weeks ahead.  Surprisingly, I didn't struggle with jet lag, perhaps because of the quiet, relaxed pace we had with our friends.

Sharon and I recuperating after a walk

What a view as we walked

The remainder of our month was spent divided among our three children (two in Dallas and one in Virginia Beach), close friends in North Carolina, David's sister, Deb, outside Washington, DC and Kansas City, Missouri,  where we found our next home (that's for another post!!).  Needless to say, our days were filled with many varied activities, some shopping, many wonderful meals, time with our grandsons and much, much visiting!  One of my friends from Plano asked (while we were at church there) if I was "socially exhausted"!!!!  Boy did she hit the nail on the head!!!  But it was all wonderful!

While we visited, they "visited"!!!

Shade and popcorn kept these guys happy while I said hello to friends

An early birthday was celebrated!

Cheesecake Factory is always a good idea!!

Playtime at an Eric Carle exhibit

Nothing beats a quiet dinner with friends

How did I feel as we returned to Paris??  Ready to finish out our Paris adventure and ready to begin a new chapter in our retirement journey.  Paris is a beautiful city, and our adventure, though more difficult than I'd imagined, has been wonderful.  To quote the movie, Casablanca, "we'll always have Paris."  But I'm ready for an easier life where I don't struggle just to chat with someone, where I can easily find things I need/want (be it food, clothing, decor--anything!!) without multiple stops (I guess I am a spoiled American!!), and where I can easily be in contact with my children and grandchildren. Will I miss things about Paris??  Absolutely!!  I'll miss the beautiful architecture, the cafes on every corner (nearly), the green spaces (I will have some of that in our new apartment) and, be ready, the ease of healthcare (and cost too!!).

Kansas City has beautiful green space too!

What have I learned about myself these past months (a question posed to me by my sister-in-law)?  I've learned the world and the people in it are greater and broader than I thought.  I've learned to welcome new ideas and thoughts instead of thinking my way was the only way.  I've learned every city, every country has its good and its bad.  Oz isn't necessarily better than Kansas (or Missouri in our case!), it's just different.



And, in the end, "there's no place like home'!!


No comments:

Post a Comment