Thursday, July 11, 2019

JULY DAYS

Though it hasn't proven to be true yet, we expected July to be a long month for us as we anticipate our trip back to the US August 1.  Looking back I think the only mistake we've made in our adventure was waiting so long to return to the States for a visit.  We were advised (and wisely so, I think) not return for 12-18 months in order to be fully settled in our new culture.  I think we could/should have made the visit after one year.  Coulda, woulda, shoulda!!!  The other issue was our visa renewal...so it is was it is and that's fine.  But we'd have done things differently if we'd known.

A long-time former work friend of ours from a long-ago job of David's was in town last week and this with her grandson followed by her son and the rest of his family the second week.  We saw Karen and Jackson that first week as they arrived and couldn't get into their hotel.  Then this week we invited the whole family one evening for aperitifs which was a nice, casual time to reacquaint with Josh (who we knew years ago) and the rest of his family (Lisa, his wife, and his other son, Riley).

Yesterday as the family did the Louvre, Karen met up with us and we strolled and shopped.  I'm afraid it didn't turn out the way she (or we) expected because after a nice cafe lunch we walked to Galeries Lafayette for her to experience.  Oh my gosh!!!!  I forgot about the summer sales going on...it was a madhouse!!!!  And I don't really like department stores...even in the US!  We did a little shopping, browsing, and then decided to hit the Chanel area for a few things Courtney wanted me to pick up for her before our visit.

NUTHOUSE!!!!!!!  We stood in line just to get in to Chanel's area of the store then faced all the other crazies (is that how you pluralize crazy?????!!!) to see and purchase the items we were looking for.  In addition to that, of course, I was on the phone texting Courtney to verify what we were spending (her $$ not ours!!!!) and her choices (not ours either!!).  Let's just say it was not the Chanel experience Courtney and I had in June when we went to the Flagship store.  But, mission accomplished, items bought and everyone's happy.  I did feel a little bad for Karen but she was okay with it.

Gotta love the presentation!!

Experience aside, I am a sucker for beautiful packaging...I don't shop enough (hardly at all!) at high-end shops to know what others do.

After fighting the crowds at GL and with our purchases on our arms, we decided we needed a snack (fancy drinks for David and Karen and ice cream for moi!!!!).  We ended up at Cafe de la Paix, a very nice restaurant not far from Opera Garnier, historically known as "Opera de Paris", completed in 1875,  is one of the most well-known opera houses in the world and is magnificent!    I ordered a banana split with three spoons but, in all honesty, I think I ate most of it.  Oh, well!!!!!

Not the best I've had, but it did the job!!!

After our little "refreshment" break, we walked Karen and the rest of her family (who'd met us at the cafe) to a French/English bookstore (Karen wanted to buy a French coffee table book for a gift) then David and I went on to WHSmith, the English bookstore so I could pick up a few magazines.  Yes, my addiction still exists though is not being fed often!!!!  On the way to the bookstore, I took a picture of this ride that is set up across the street at the Jardins des Tuileries along with other "carnival" rides.  There is no way I would ever be on this...EVER!!!!  It scares me watching.  We (and others too) stood watching and at one point each "end" is actually upside down----yuck!!!!!  To each his own my mother used to say!!!

NO WAY!!!!

After being gone for 8 hours and a long (because of traffic),  hot (because ventilation in a bus isn't great if it's warm at all) bus ride home, we scavenged for a light dinner and watched "French Kiss". Like Dorothy said "There's no place like home"---especially after a long, but nice day out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment