Friday, January 25, 2019

SNOW IN PARIS!!!

As we were eating breakfast on Tuesday, I looked out the window and saw....snow!!!!  It started very lightly falling but within a short period of time, the flakes were large and beautiful and coming down pretty heavy.  I do love snow...especially when I don't HAVE to get out in it, shovel it or dress small children for it!!!  My grandmother lived in the mountains during the last years of her life, and she absolutely loved the heavy snowstorms they would get.  She'd make sure her pantry was stocked,  and she'd enjoy the beauty that snow is when you can sit inside and look at it.

This doesn't reflect how pretty it was!

The other part of enjoying snow for me is knowing it doesn't last forever!  Even on Tuesday, by afternoon much of the morning accumulation had melted and streets were just wet,  though there was snow on car tops and along the sides of some sidewalks.  Not bad.   It was cold but not "icicles hanging from your eyebrows" cold.  You know??!!

Anyway, we got out to look for some Valentine decorations (with no luck😞) and at the bus stop we passed our favorite "bear" hangout...

Bear and friend!!

Remember this cafe from an earlier post where all the bears were sitting outside with their favorite beverage???  Well, today one of the bears is "visiting" with a friend!!!!!  We thought this was so funny!!!  This elderly lady, in her fur hat, was sitting across from this bear doing some sort of paperwork.  Funny thing, on the way home several hours later, she was still sitting there and still doing her work with the bear keeping her company!!!   Only in Paris!!!  I love that this cafe does this....

Yesterday was a pretty busy day.  I enjoy the days that are full, but I wouldn't want every day to be full.  Anyway, we both had early Bible study followed by our French (which, by the way, is coming along....I don't feel nearly as out of place as I did the first day),  then came back to the apartment, had lunch and went to church for a meeting with one of our committee chairs for Bloom.  Following that, we grabbed a bus and went over to WHSmith (the English language bookstore) so I could pick up a few magazines.

By this time, it was 5:00 (or so) and David suggested we go to Angelina's for hot chocolate.   We've been here nearly a year and every time we've gone by Angelina's there has been a huge line.  It is "the" place for hot chocolate so a place where many tourists want to visit.  Anyway, I've wanted to go in but not enough to stand in a huge line.  But today was the day!!!  There was only a short line (because of the time of day, I think) so we got in quickly, and it was delightful!!  Not cheap, but delightful!!!

I'm sure next time the line will be longer!!


We decided to have the afternoon tea which, of course, included savory and sweet snacks and choice of beverage (we both chose the hot chocolate).  It all was presented in such a pretty fashion....I'm a sucker for presentation!!!!

Pretty and tasty too!

The pitcher in the picture is holding the hot chocolate for David and me.  There was enough in it for each of us to have two cups with some left,  and they brought a bowl of fresh whipped cream if you wanted it for the top (uh, yes!!!!).  The atmosphere was quiet and warm and very pretty.

I saw several grandmotherly-looking women with young grandchildren-looking young adults.  What a nice way to spend time with your grandchildren!


We were upstairs which was nice, the service was excellent and I can't wait to go back!!!  I always wondered why there were such crowds in the middle of the summer...well, they also have ice cream desserts!!!!  I saw one lady (actually the one on the right in this picture) eating what looked like an ice cream sundae!!!!!  Next time, it's a sundae for me!!!!

Of course, they have a lovely gift boutique as well, and I couldn't leave without a keepsake...too many choices....I ended up with a simple cup and saucer that I can really use (or display).  Though the food was a little on the high side, I didn't find the gift items to be bad at all.  Next time I may get another cup/saucer (so I'll have one for a guest!) or perhaps a creamer (large or small)....or maybe both!!!!!!!

One more cup and you could come to tea at my house a la Angelina's!


Today, as I write this, I'm looking out at the cold, gray day from the dining room window and also watching "Sleepless in Seattle" that's on in the living room.  David has gone to an overnight men's retreat for church so tonight I'll probably binge watch "Grace and Frankie" and read the magazines I got from WHSmith.  Tomorrow I have big plans to reorganize my drawers, shelves and, perhaps, even kitchen cabinets.....



or maybe I'll fix a cup of coffee for my new Angelina cup and curl up with a good book!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment